Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2014

weird shadow protect image / restore issue - server rebooted to crash menu

server 2012 R2 test machine, got 3 drives

I wanted replace drive C: with a bigger hard drive

I booted from IT edition , take the C: drive image

put the bigger hard drive in, and restored image,

to my horror, upon reboot, the server crashed to the recovery menu

now the real recovery begins,

1/ put the original disk drive back, the same thing happened, I restarted and restarted , eventually choose debug mode, then the server boot to normal mode

so I took an image again, and restore again, shiit, the same thing happened, this time I choose Last known good configuration,  the server boot to normal mode. but the computer name changed to soemthing like win-ananan, like assumed a name of windows PE. and hyper-v switch all got scrabbled. I have to remove the hyper-v role, move off the domain, rename , re-join the domain, and re-add hyper-v role, and set the configuration location exactly as before, then it pick up all existing settings and VMs,

phew ... what a day



--- Shadow Protect support send me a long checklist

- including 1/ run check disk on the drive
2/ set policy to sector
3/ in HIR (even at the same machine ?) use good match
4/ also suggested delete BCD and re-build BCD
5/ patch MBR , but this is windows server 2012 R2? 

No comments:

Post a Comment