Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

image a computer hard drives over to another computer

I know some computer will never wake up after the long holiday.

one of a client's important workstation failed to start, the hard drive light seemed always on. from past experience I knew one of the hard drive wasn't starting.

then take an image of another PC (Win-XP) with similar functionality.. well my ShadowProtect IT edition expired Q4 2009. luckily I have a Shadow Protect 3.3 CD. That saved the day. interestingly the local ShadowProect distributor wanted to send a copy of Oct 2009 IT edition. I wonder that will make any difference.

I started the process of elimination, 2 of the 3 internal hard drives not starting properly. ironically this faulty system started perfectly today. but after I run scandisk, the whole thing crashed again.

put in a new hard drive, I have restore the image to to this drive and remaining one. the first shadow protect boot crashed, I have to un-plug the old remianing hard drive from the on-board gigbyte raid controller. then restore the boot-image to the new hard drive.

behold my breath, now the image is successfully copied over. the Win-XP is starting, pop in the motherboard cd to load all the drivers. P4-3.2GHZ, very old PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment