Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

recover data from a vista hard drive; getdataback and easeus compared

recover data from a vista hard drive

a hp compaq c700 wont start, it keeps asking to do the repair on start-up

I boot the PC from shadow protect cd, I can't cd to the C: drive ; I/O error
run CMOS test tool: faulty hard drive reported

I tried two software packages:
getdataback
easeus

pull the problem hard drive out, and put it in a USB enclosure ,  then plug it to my technician's notebook,

run getdataback against the faulty hard drive, after some effort, it can see the drive, and run the scan, it re-constructed the corrupted filesystem over bad clusters, in the trial version , only filenames are displayed, can't do copy

download the trial version of easus, it can recover upto 1Gb in this version, I ran it for about 90 minutes. it is still running, no encoraging signs in sight. I abort my effort using easus.


I have the impression that getdataback have better results in my case, the recovery process is slow, patience is virtual. it's all about retrieving data in bad cluster, re-construction

what a Queen's day weekend for me ....


No comments:

Post a Comment