Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2015

clonezilla vs storagecraft shadow protect full version / IT edition -- atapiport0 detected a controller error --- clone a disk

clonezilla vs storagecraft shadow protect full version / IT edition


long story short:

Scottie could not log in to a w7 pro x32 bit domain-joined PC

it takes a long time, and desktop not showing up. in the process I spotted a black screen with the words this copy of w7 is not genuine.

loggin as local admin, run a malware scan, I cound not stopped it in the the middle, have to turn it off.

pull the hard drive out, put in a usb enclosure, do nod32 online scan, very clean.

put it back, run scandisk, bad cluster found , file ntuser.dat corrupted.

check event viewer, atapiport0 error detected controller

then the drama finally started between Clonezilla and StrogaeCraft Shadow Protect

0/ the PC and the disk drive is under warranty, I hate to reload windows, so I want to clone it. as I can login as Scottie when chkdsk /r did the bad clusters.

1/ I contacted the PC supplier, they sent me a replacement hard drive of the same model 500GB western digital. the PC vendor is correct in saying if too many bad clusters, it wont be possible to clone.

2/ using shadowportect to take an image of the original hard drive, my IT edition version is too slow, it failed . there should be an option ignore bad clusters.  Storagecraft support told me the latest edition should have that feature.

3/ the trial version should work (ignore the bad cluster option), also I should be able to restore it. sadly it did take an image , but it is blank. I could not use.

4/ time is running out for me. google search is my friend, CloneZilla showed up. its debian based.

5/ download the amd64 ISO, burnt to a CD, boot the PC from cdrom with two hard drive attached.

6/ default clone failed, I have to manually choose ignore bad clusters, tried again, , awesome, I have a fully working w7, everything is good as Scottie tested it



2 comments:

  1. Using AVG protection for a couple of years now, and I would recommend this antivirus to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Submit your website or blog now for indexing in Google and over 300 other search engines!

    Over 200,000 sites listed!

    Submit TODAY via I NEED HITS!!!

    ReplyDelete