Search This Blog

Saturday, December 14, 2013

my Friday rescue series continues, restore a crashed HP ML300 server to a new IBM low end server

my Friday rescue series continues, restore a crashed HP ML300 server to a new IBM low end server

very sad for this customer, they got a windows 2008 R2 server as their terminal server, the server hardware is HP ML300 tower. the error is that one of fans is not strong enough, hence the server keeps shutting down.

I tried to take an image of the server using storagecraft shadow protect IT key, but the 60GB C: partition got 40GB data, and it need 35 minutes. I am at one stage 7 minutes to finish the imaging.

I just don't have the extra 7 minutes out of the HP server.

at the suggest of co-worker, I took one of the mirrored hard drive out and put it in the new IBM server, attached to a sata connector. then start the IBM server from the shadow protect IT cd, with the IT key attached to another USB port.

run the shadow protect backup to take an image of the hard drive from the defunct HP server.

then load raid driver , and restore the image to the new raid-mirrored disk in the new IBM server.

the restore finished with errors/warning in the shadow protect console, like shadow protect v4 has no license . ( of course the IT key is licensed )

 I got problem on the first start on the new server, black screen error 0x0000225; namely it asks for windows repair disc.

I restarted the IBM server again from the IT shadow key, did a scan / repair on the BCD of the hard drive. shadow protect reported it repaired the broken windows .

I felt thrilled when the new server started , but upon restarting, the famous 0x0000007B blue screen crash dump appeared.

I know it got something to do the new raid controller driver, so I started the server with IT key again, and inject the windows installation with x64 bit raid driver.
(correction, I used last know good configuration to get to windows again, then use the downloaded IBM raid driver to update the current raid driver. the raid driver update failed previously , the error is current raid driver is not stable. this time the raid driver update worked, and the new system works so far I am writing this)

reboot , yeeessss, I have a working windows 2008 R2 . then download ibm updateXpress to update all the drivers for the new server.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment