Search This Blog

Sunday, December 1, 2013

netbios name resulution issue and printing / scanning issue after un-install end-point security (Panda)

netbios name resulution issue and printing / scanning issue after un-install end-point security (Panda)

the director sold his company and started another business at home.

I got called in to do the home network setup.

he got a network printer and a HP MFC as his scanner.

his notebook had N-Able agent and end-point security installed.

I need un-install those as he is no longer part of his previous company.

I un-ticked the security manager via the N-Central interface. the Panda anti-virus is un-installed. the notebook restarted.

then I installed Nod32 anti-virus, nod32 picked some virus which Panda doesn't regard as virus / trojan.

When I was just about to go, the customer said the printing stoppped working.

bit surprised, as it was working before. so I moved the PC out of the domain, to get rid of domain group policy,

downloaded the latest driver and install, install finished sucessfully, but it just wont print.

I get the owner agree to use a usb cable, the director grudgingly agreed.

but the network scanning is not working either. I realized this is a bigger problem.. I noticed the host file is not working, the w7 pro x64 cannot ping local netbios name.

google frantically, eventually my thoughts are on the security-manager (Panda anti-virus), I logged a ticket with N-Able support asking for a standalone panda removal tool.

N-Able sent me a uninstaller and a reg file. I run the uninstaller, I got a very quick prompt, ok.

I tested host file name resulution, yes, finally the host file is effective, so is netbios name resolution, i.e I can  ping local hosts by their netbios name.

funny enough (or sad enough), there is a post on Panda website regarding someone installed Panda, printing stopped working.


No comments:

Post a Comment